Could MTN eSim be the game-changer?
Being top of the game has always been the desire of MTN Nigeria, it is no surprise that this is coming shortly after the world is gradually accepting the new technology. Introducing MTN eSIM, first of its kind in Nigeria.
Since this is new in Nigeria, let us make some introduction. Google is the first to implement the eSim technology on their devices, Apple follow suit. What this means for iPhone users is that they will now be able to use Dual sim on their phone which has always an object of mockery for years. It is now looking likely that we are about to usher a new era and the question is how long will physical sim cards survive?
A “sim” actually stands for subscriber identity module, it contains all your information as the real owner of the SIM.
Therefore, MTN eSIM is an electronic subscriber identity module by MTN Nigeria. Rather than slotting your sim card into your phone, the technology is built right into your Phone and is activated upon request.
MTN eSim, another first from MTN Nigeria, it is an embedded sim card in a SmartPhone that customers can use the same way they use their MTN physical sim cards like normal, micro, and nano sims.
Unlike the usual sim cards, you do not need to insert the MTN eSim into your Phone. You will need to activate The MTN sim with your account profile to enjoy all the MTN services you normally would enjoy on your MTN Physical sim. Such services include MTN tariff plans, MTN data plans and Value Added Services.
The eSIM is open to both prepaid and postpaid customers.
BENEFITS OF MTN eSIM
- Once you have adopted this technology, you will no longer need to deal with cutting your MTN sim card into a micro or nano sim.
- It is also ideal to avoid water or dust. The fewer slots the better resistance to dust and water penetration.
- With the MTN eSim, you can have more than one phone number linked to your smartphone.
- One can stop worrying about finding or carrying an extractor about. The extractor is used to eject sims and SD tray.
- You can easily switch from one network operator to another when you travel outside Nigeria.
- There is no chance of your MTN eSim getting stolen or damaged as it is inbuilt.
PHONES AND DEVICES CURRENTLY SUPPORT ESIM INCLUDE
- Samsung Galaxy Watch.
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max.
- Samsung S20, S20+ & S20 Ultra.
- Huawei Watch 2 Pro
- Google Pixel 2 & 3.
- iPhone XR, XS & XS Max.
- Apple Watch Series 3 & 4.
- Samsung Gear S2 & S3.
HOW TO ACTIVATE MTN eSIM
- To activate the MTN eSim, you will need to visit any MTN office near you.
- A customer care will check your device to confirm if it is eligible to use MTN eSim.
- New customers will be provided with a QR code to scan and download an eSIM profile and perform the usual SIM registration.
- Existing MTN customers will need to make a eSIM Swap Request.
- MTN eSIM swap process is not different except that you will need to download profile when swapping into an eSIM device.
- Whatever challenges, you will be walked through the set up process at the MTN Office.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON MTN eSIM
Q. How do I download my eSIM profile?
- As a prepaid or postpaid customer, You can download the eSIM by scanning the QR-Code presented by MTN agent.
Q. Do I require data to download my eSIM profile?
- Yes, you will need to have data or connected to a wireless network to download the MTN eSim profile.
Q. I have an eSim device, will be I given an MTN eSim pack upon SIM swapped or purchased?
- The customer care agent will give you a Slip with a QR code containing the serial number and PUK code of your MTN eSim.
Q. I lost my QR code, how can I get it back?
- Go to any MTN office to retrieve it, you will need to provide proof of identity like a Government issued ID card, certain information and associated phone number.
Q. I lost my eSim device, what should I do?
- When this happens, call the customer care immediately and asked that your number should be blocked. If you have another phone, you can request for a Sim Swap.
Q. What happens if I cannot download my eSIM profile?
- Check if the wireless access point is strong enough for the download.
- Check if the wireless access point icon has a full bar. You can also test if you can stream on the mobile device with the wireless network.
- Check if the profile has been installed already.
- Check eSIM is active (the eSIM could be the primary or secondary sim).
- Check if the wireless access point icon is active and connected.
- Check if the eSIM network icon is active.
- Check if the device/device is connected to a wireless access point:
Q. What is the cost of activating the eSIM?
- The eSIM activation is totally Free.
Q. I bought a new phone, can I swap my line back to regular SIM?
- Yes you can, you will need to visit the MTN office with your Govt Issued ID card and eSim Slip for a Sim Swap.
Q. Can I perform all regular activities on eSIM?
- Yes, you can do what you would normally do on a normal sim card like, MTN check balance, browse with any MTN data plan, and also make calls. In other words, all activities above and many more can be performed on the eSIM when it is active.